& EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
ROLES for Faith X
Executive Director, Consultant, Coach, Church Planter Assessor, Church Futurist
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @revkenhoward or @faithxproject Cell: 301-704-3290 Time Zone: ET, Maryland
The great grandson of an Orthodox rabbi from Belarus, Ken says he would have become a rabbi himself if not for making the mistake of betting a college roommate that he prove that Jesus was not the Messiah. How did a nice Jewish boy become an Episcopalian? “It was “the most Jewish church I could find,” he says.
Born in West Texas and raised in Southern California, Ken moved to Virginia for his secular career, and then to the Maryland suburbs of DC for his ordained career. Ken likes to say he was one of the few people he knows who was able to squeeze a four-year bachelors degree into nine short years and three different institutions of higher learning in two different states (he also holds a M.Ed. and an M.Div.). His two children are grown and embarked on careers of their own, and he and his wife recently celebrated 40 years of marriage. He enjoys bike riding, trying new and different ethnic foods, reading science fiction and fantasy, and contemplating the spiritual implications of quantum physics, entangled states, and “spooky action at distance.
Ken’s first career was in training and development in the public, private and consulting sectors. Then after he was final apprehended by God, he was ordained and began to serve the church, first as a staff member of a corporate size parish, then as a church starter in the Episcopal Diocese of Washington. Having reached 20 years of age, the church he planted is ready to grow up and Ken is transitioning from full-time parish ministry to training, coach, and mentor the next generation of clergy. Ken is all about finding the truth in paradox, seeking to bridge differences, and experimenting with outside-the-box ways of being church.
Ken has the unusual quality of being able to speak prophetically without totally pissing people off. He is a skilled author, coach, consultant, trainer, conflict transformation negotiator, and church futurist.
Ken’s contributions to the wider church include:
- Jewish Christianity in the Early Church. A ground breaking research thesis on the separation of Christianity from Judaism.
- Paradoxy: Creating Christian Community Beyond Us and Them. A book exploring the Church’s current theological divisions and how to bridge them.
- Singularity: The Death of Religion and the Resurrection of Faith. An open-source research paper exploring the demographic trends which will render denominations irrelevant and the local worship center unsustainable in its current form by the end of the 20th century.
- FaithX: Inventing the Future of Faith through Vision Guided-Experimentation (forthcoming). How faith leaders can prepare their congregations to survive and thrive in turbulent times.
- Ordained Priest – The Episcopal Church (1993)
- Church Planter Assessor – The Episcopal Church (2017)
- Executive Coach – Communispond (1990)
- Leader Coach – International Coaching Federation (June 2017)
- International Network for Personal Meaning – Chair, Meaning and Work Division
- Montgomery County Faith Community Advisory Council – Chair, Religious Land Use Working Group
- Washington Episcopal Clergy Association – Vice President